While feeling sad is a very normal emotion, if you believe that your feelings sadness and dejection are consistently outweighing your feelings happiness, this may indicate that you should check if you are exhibiting any of the other signs of depression.
Here are some of the symptoms to watch for:
- Feelings of sadness, or feeling down most of the time
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyable activites
- An increase or decrease in appetite or weight
- A noticeable increase or decrease in sleeping
- Becoming easily agitated or lethargic
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Difficulty concentrating
- Suicidal ideation (thinking about death and dying, suicidal thoughts and plans)
If you or someone you know may be struggling with any of the above symptoms, know that you are not alone. Our doctors are here for support, and you can talk to a doctor here, at any time, to get a medical evaluation. There are many ways to treat depression, and many ways which do not require antidepressant medication. To know what kind of treatment is best for you, talk with a medical professional for the best advice.
If you or someone you know are exhibiting signs of suicidal ideation, please seek immediate medical attention.
Author: Maggie Harriman