As we get deep into the dark and cold months of winter, we find ourselves turning toward nourishing, hot, and hearty foods to warm our bodies and our spirits.
This simple, nutrient rich grain bowl is effortless to throw together, and is a perfect option for dinner when you want something savory and filling but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen. Extra roasted veggies also make perfect leftovers for your lunches and meals all week long.
This bowl nails comforting, hearty flavor while being a perfectly balanced meal: dark leafy greens are topped with seasonal roasted veggies, whole grains, protein-packed chickpeas, and nourishing monounsaturated fat from creamy, sliced avocado. This nutritionally powerful, veggie-based winter bowl is sure to be something you’ll want to whip up all throughout the rest of these chilly months.
Winter Grain Bowl
What you’ll need:
- Cooked quinoa
- Raw (or steamed) kale
- Sweet potato
- Can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Bell pepper
- Spices: salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary, garlic powder
- Olive oil
Lemon tahini dressing
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3- 1/2 cup water (depending on desired consistency)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
What you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Slice your sweet potato into wedges, and evenly coat them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Brush your bell pepper with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread your veggies evenly on a baking sheet, and roast them or 35–40 minutes until the bell pepper is slightly blackened and the sweet potato wedges are soft throughout.
- While your veggies are roasting, Add the chickpeas, a tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste in a skillet. Stir the chickpeas over medium heat for about 5 minutes until they become hot and a little crispy.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy.
- Once the veggies, chickpeas, and dressing are done, slice your avocado. Finally, layer your bowls with kale, quinoa, sweet potatoes, peppers, chickpeas, and add sliced avocado over the top. For a finishing touch, drizzle all with your lemon tahini dressing. Enjoy!
Author: Maggie Harriman